Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Summer Berry Yogurt Loaf Cake

I love making sweet breads. Something that isn't too sweet or too rich and something I won' feel guilty about eating for breakfast. Well this was one of them. This turned out so moist and it is pretty healthy too. It only has 1 cup of sugar, and one stick of butter. If you bake, you know that most loaf cakes have way more than one stick of butter to make them moist. What makes this cake moist is the yogurt! It also gives it a delicate taste. The nice thing about this cake is you can play with it to your own taste needs. I used blueberry yogurt because that is what I had in my fridge. The original recipe from Elle’s New England Kitchen calls for plain yogurt. You could also use vanilla. It also calls for lime citrus but since I never buy limes, I used lemon. Farida from AZ Cookbook where I originally saw this recipe used orange zest. In other words, whatever floats your boat. Either way, make this and have it for breakfast or dessert or with a cup of afternoon tea, or have it as a midnight snack (I don't recommend it, but I won't tell anyone.) I hope you enjoy it.



Summer Berry Yogurt Loaf Cake

Here is what you will need:

2 cups self rising flour

OR

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 cup vanilla, plain or berry yogurt
1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries (or just one kind of berries, frozen do not need to be defrosted)
2 tablespoons citrus zest (lemon, lime, or orange)


2. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Using a mixer, beat at medium speed, until light and fluffy.

3. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
4. Add yogurt and beat together until well blended
It will look curdy, it's ok :)
5. Add in the berries and lemon zest. I added half the berries and mixed them in with the mixer and then the other half I folded in. You can either mix them all in, do what I did or fold them all in.
6. Add the flour and mix until combined. If you are going to be folding the berries in, add the flour before adding the berries.
7. Lightly coat a 8 1/2 (21 cm) x 4 1/2-inch (11 cm) loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter onto the prepared pan and place the pan on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for about 70 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven. Allow to cool in the pan, then carefully turn out onto a wire rack. Cool completely before serving.
Enjoy!!!

1 comment :

  1. Alla, your berry loaf looks so good! So glad summer is almost here - will be making it over and over again.

    ReplyDelete