Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Whole Wheat Apple Muffins

            It's hard to believe it has been so long. A time came when blogging wasn't my priority. I have to admit, looking at old photographs on this blog, it's a little embarrassing  They look worse than mobile pictures. :) Maybe my photography didn't improve extremely, but enough for me to see the difference and realize the difference. Last weekend I finally graduated college! Yay for me! My last semester was difficult, lets just say Cost Management isn't my favorite subject, but nevertheless, I also had the opportunity to take a photography class which inspired me to continue to take photographs and learn my camera a little better. My final project was obvious to many who know me well, food photography. I had an awesome professor who encouraged and inspired me. This led me to have the desire to go back to blogging, on a very part time basis. The bad thing is, I am no artist when it comes to food. I simply am good at following well written directions. This makes it hard to blog and share recipes about what has already been blogged about. There is simply no need for it when I can just as easily send  someone the link to the website I used. Rarely, there does come a time when I will adjust the recipe to my taste but very slightly. The reason maybe for this blog is to share recipes that mostly won't be mine, but that I promise to have made and loved, hoping you will too! I really hope you will enjoy some of my favorite foods and this blog.


Whole Wheat Apple Muffins

From King Arthur Flour
(With Adaptations from the Smitten Kitchen)

 Makes 12-18 muffins


These dark, moist muffins will keep well for several days. You don't even need to heat them up to enjoy them, which makes them a perfect breakfast, tea & and coffee accompaniment and of course a snack at any time of the day . The brown sugar sprinkled on top adds a crunchy touch, do not skimp on it as it is amazing. Yum! Even my husband who doesn't care much for muffins gobbled these down. The wheat flour makes is a little more healthy, I guess? If you don't have White Whole Wheat I bet you could just do 2 cups of unbleached instead.


You Will Need:

1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk (I used whole milk with a tablespoon of lemon instead)
2 large apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped







1. Preheat the oven to 450F.


2. Grease and flour 12-18 (the original recipe is for 12 but I got 18) muffin cups or line with muffin liners and set aside.

3.Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and set aside.




4. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and add the granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. Beat until fluffy.

5. Add the egg and mix well; stop once to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl

6.Mix in the buttermilk gently. (If you over-mix, the buttermilk will cause the mixture to curdle.)

7. Stir in the dry ingredients

8. Fold in the apple chunks.





9. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, sprinkling the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar on top.









10. Bake for 10 minutes, turn the heat down to 400°F, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.


11. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the tin, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.



12. Share with neighbors? :)





No comments :

Post a Comment